1984 and 1990 the historic old Market Square was rebuilt on the exact scale of
its destroyed (1945) predecessor. Among other beautifully restored buildings one
can find here the Butcher`s Guildhall (Knochenhaueramtshaus, 1529), maybe the
world´s finest half-timbered building. The upper floors of the Butcher´s Guildhall
house the Museum of Municipal History.
hours: Tue-Sun 10am - 6pm).
Gothic Church of St. Andrew (1389), with 114,5 m the tallest church tower in Lower
Saxony, was rebuilt between 1951 and 1965 and even dominates the modern city.
If one doesn´t mind climbing up 364 steps one can enjoy from a height
of 75m a magnificent view over Hildesheim and its surroundings.
from St. Andrew over the Romanesque church of St. Michael (1010-33)
to reach Hildesheim
road: along the Copenhagen-Hamburg-Frankfurt-Basle A7 (E4) motorway
good connections to the long-distance network
by air: via Hannover-Lange nhagen
Airport (45 km)
are rail and bus services to Hannover nearly every hour.
are here: Europe Today - Germany
Today A.S. (Text:
Uwe Wähner) - All rights reserved.